Woolwich Township Oral Surgeons
Our board-certified oral surgeons are highly trained, experienced, and have been treating the needs of patients for decades. We know that any issue having to do with the mouth or jaw can be painful and disruptive. Problematic oral conditions can affect your confidence and enjoyment of life in many ways. Outstanding patient care, results, and compassion are crucial to our practice.
There are several problems that need to be addressed by a surgeon trained in the mouth and face, including wisdom teeth extraction, dental implants, jaw misalignment, and sleep apnea. If left untreated, these common problems can create other more serious and long-term issues for patients.
Why Do You Need an Oral Surgeon?
When patients exhibit symptoms that initially bring them to the dentist but ultimately are problems that require more specific care, the dentist will recommend they see an oral surgeon. Some problems that require the care of an oral surgeon include:
- Jaw surgery: Some patients can have jaw damage as the result of a car accident, while others may have been born with an irregular bite. In either case, problems with the jaw can impact a person’s daily life and functioning. Jaw problems can cause difficulty with speech and lead to teeth becoming misaligned. They can also affect the way patients chew food, as well as negatively changing their appearance.
- Wisdom teeth extraction: The average mouth is designed to hold only 28 teeth. The average adult has 32 teeth by the age of 18 years old. The four wisdom teeth are the last to erupt in the mouth and often do not align properly. Poorly positioned impacted teeth can cause many problems, including overcrowding, cysts, infections, and gum disease. Removal of the wisdom teeth will usually resolve these issues.
- Multiple teeth extraction: It is not uncommon for a patient to require having more than one tooth pulled at the same time. Some patients have tooth decay or advancing periodontal disease, while others suffered dental trauma or have poorly positioned teeth. While the thought of multiple teeth extraction may make some patients anxious, it is a safe procedure with the properly trained and experienced oral surgeon.
- Sleep apnea: Many people just associate sleep apnea with snoring, but it is also a serious disorder that can be dangerous. Untreated sleep apnea has proved to be a contributing factor to heart disease and high blood pressure. Though it often goes undiagnosed, obstructive sleep apnea can be easily treated by a knowledgeable oral surgeon.
- TMJ surgery: The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) controls a patient’s ability to talk, eat, and swallow without pain. If it becomes diseased or damaged, any kind of mouth movement can be painful. Grinding teeth, or bruxism, while sleeping is a common cause of TMJ pain. Many people struggle with this and are usually treated first with a mouth guard or oral splint to prevent grinding. Teeth grinding is just one cause of TMJ pain. Structural problems in the jaw, dislocation, arthritis, stress, and disease can also lead to serious TMJ pain. An oral surgeon may recommend TMJ surgery in cases where conservative measures have not worked, and the problem is confirmed by a MRI scan.
Some Surgical Procedures We Offer
At Lanzi Burke Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons, we take the time to answer all questions and to fully explain all oral treatment options. We can perform different types of complex surgical procedures, including:
- Arthroscopy/arthrocentesis: Through these procedures, fluid is injected into the joint to reduce the inflammation and pressure. The purpose is to give the jaw greater range of motion by reducing stiffness and pain in the joint. Arthrocentesis is minimally invasive and usually a same-day procedure. Arthroscopy is less invasive than open surgery, allowing patients to recover in about a week.
- Joint restructuring: Some patients have more serious problems, such as seriously deteriorating joints that require restructuring. This involves smoothing cartilage and restructuring the joint. The procedure also provides artificial joint replacement for those patients who may require it.
- Orthognathic surgery: Orthognathic surgery is needed when jaws are misaligned, and teeth are not fitting correctly. Corrective jaw surgery repositions misaligned jaws, while teeth are straightened with orthodontics. This procedure ensures that teeth and jaws meet correctly and function properly. It can also improve facial appearance.
- Teeth in a Day: There is an immediate option for patients who are ready to make a change about their missing teeth. We provide qualifying patients with the opportunity for temporary but fully functional teeth at their first appointment with the Teeth in a Day procedure.
What to Expect During Your First Visit
Patients should bring a photo ID, copies of medical and dental insurance cards, referrals and related insurance forms, and any recent X-rays. Our staff can also obtain these on the patient’s behalf.
- Initial consultation: At an initial consultation, your oral surgeon will review any records, test results, or X-rays. It also includes an examination of the mouth, focusing on the problem area. Your oral surgeon will then explain the diagnosis and discuss all treatment options.
- Medical history review: Your oral surgeon with take the time to go over your medical history at the initial consultation. It is essential for the oral surgeon to have a full understanding of your medical history before any procedure, including past or chronic illnesses, any previous surgeries, allergies, and current medications.
- Surgical information: If it is determined that surgery is the best option for effectively solving your problem, the oral surgeon will discuss the surgical procedure, surgical instructions, and aftercare expectations.
If you are looking for a highly trained and experienced oral surgeon in Woolwich Township, New Jersey, come see us today. We provide the highest quality oral surgical care for our patients, using state-of-the-art equipment and cutting-edge technology.
We also understand that many people feel anxious about coming to an oral surgeon, so our goal is to make your visit with us as comfortable as possible. Our Woolwich oral surgeons take pride in the trusted relationships they have with their patients.
Woolwich Oral Surgeons at Lanzi Burke Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons Perform a Wide Range of Oral Surgical Procedures
Woolwich Township area residents with dental, jaw, or facial problems need a surgical team they can trust. Our Woolwich oral surgeons at Lanzi Burke Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons have decades of experience and can help you enjoy life and feel confident about your smile again. Call us today at 856-582-4222 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Located in Washington Township, Haddonfield, and Woolwich Township, New Jersey, we serve patients throughout South Jersey.