Dental implants are a popular tooth replacement option for patients with broken or missing teeth. Durable and long-lasting, dental implants have the appearance and function of natural teeth, with fewer restrictions and maintenance than other replacement options. There are different approaches to dental implants, including immediate implant placement.
Immediate implant placement is an innovative procedure wherein an oral surgeon embeds the implant directly into the jaw immediately following tooth extraction. The extraction simplifies the replacement process as the implant’s root can be placed directly into the vacated socket left by the natural root, increasing successful integration. The ability to immediately place the dental implant utilizes two steps of the traditional implant procedure at once.
Is Immediate Dental Implant Placement Right for Me?
Immediate dental implant replacement is not suitable for all patients. Oral surgeons consider several different factors in determining whether patients are good candidates for the procedure, including but not limited to:
- Oral health: Oral health is a significant factor in determining whether patients are good candidates for immediate dental implant placement. Underlying conditions like gum disease or bone loss may need addressing before implants can be placed.
- Overall health: Patients’ health and medical history also significantly influence whether immediate dental implant placement is recommended. Patients with weakened immune systems or other chronic health conditions, such as high blood pressure, heart conditions, or osteoporosis, may not be good candidates. Other factors like age and certain prescription medications may also prevent the procedure.
- Extraction site: Immediate placement is most successful if the tooth is replaced and the surrounding bone and gum tissue are healthy and suitable to support implantation and integration.
- Cost: The cost of immediate dental implant placement is often a factor both oral surgeons and patients want to consider. In some instances, the cost of immediate placement may be more expensive than traditional surgical implant procedures.
- Patient preference: Many patients find immediate dental implant placement a more attractive option for its quicker treatment and recovery periods. Oral surgeons weigh patients’ preferences in conjunction with other factors when determining whether they are suitable candidates.
During your initial consultation, your oral surgeon will evaluate each factor of your case, discuss your options, and recommend the best treatment approach.
What Are the Benefits of Immediate Dental Implant Placement?
Immediate dental implant placement is best suited in patients replacing only one tooth and with healthy bone and gum tissue, a strong immune system, and no underlying adverse health conditions. Other benefits of immediate dental implant placement include:
- Quicker treatment: Immediate dental implant placement provides patients with new teeth and fully restored function in one procedure rather than multiple appointments.
- Tissue preservation: Immediate placement helps preserve and grow bone and gum tissue, preventing bone loss and tissue deterioration often associated with tooth extraction.
- Restores function: Immediate dental implant placement immediately restores full function, allowing patients to eat, drink, and speak faster.
A South Jersey Oral Surgeon at Lanzi Burke Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons Perform Immediate Dental Implant Replacement Procedures
If you have broken or missing teeth, immediate dental implant replacement may be an excellent solution to restore oral health and function. Schedule an initial consultation with a South Jersey oral surgeon at Lanzi Burke Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons. Call us at 856-582-4222 or contact us online today. Located in Washington Township, Haddonfield, and Woolwich Township, New Jersey, we serve patients throughout South Jersey.